LUMUT, Oct 24 – Former Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin has alleged that the Barisan Nasional administration had “an evil plan” to attack Pakatan Rakyat lawmakers during the Oct 28 sitting if they attempted to stop any proceeding.
He claimed that “insiders” had informed him the BN had already terminated the services of the current sergeants-at-arms in the state assembly and had replaced them with 15 new ones, all from Umno.
“From what we were told, these 15 are ‘samsengs’ from Umno and come the state assembly sitting in Oct 28, they will be appointed officially as the new sergeants-at-arms,” he told a press conference after launching the Perak PR Youth at Markas PAS in Batu 9, Lekir.
He added that his source had also told him that five PR assemblymen were targetted and would be victims of violent attacks in the event that the tabling of the 2010 budget was hindered.
The five, he said, were Chan Ming Kai (Simpang Pulai), Chang Lih Kang (Teja), A. Sivasubramaniam (Buntong), Thomas Su (Pasir Pinji) and S. Kesavan (Hutan Melintang).
The five are generally known to be amongst the few more confrontational assemblymen in PR’s line-up.
“We were told that during such an event, the BN assemblymen and the media would be ushered out of the hall so that the Umno samsengs can take over,” said Nizar.
He added that the BN also planned to stop PR assemblymen from entering the state assembly hall before 10am, when the sitting was scheduled to commence.
“This is really ridiculous because in any normal sitting, assemblymen are generally allowed to enter the hall at 9am or 9.30am or whenever, before the sitting.
“This means that when we (PR) enter the hall, the BN will be seated and ready, waiting for us,” he said.
Meanwhile, ousted Speaker V. Sivakumar has countered his predecessor Datuk R. Ganesan’s challenge with a similar one of his own.
“I challenge you (BN assemblymen) to stay away from the sitting this Oct 28 because your attendance would mean you are recognising me as the state’s lawful Speaker,” he said in his speech during the launch earlier.
This, he added, was because he too had sent out notices on the Oct 28 sitting to Perak assemblymen.
Earlier, the Perak PR Youth launch, which was supposed to be held at a temple in Lumut, had to be relocated to the PAS office in Lekir after heavy police presence blocked most of the entrances into the navy town.
According to PAS officials, police had set up more than five roadblocks at all major towns surrounding Lumut since last night, including Ayer Tawar, Pantai Remis, Sitiawan, Pangkor Island and Pasir Panjang.
Despite this, the launch proceeded without hindrances and the group later moved on to Pangkor Island at 3pm, where they conducted a ceramah under the watchful eyes of the police and several Federal Reserve Unit personnel.
There were no untoward incidents reported.