KUALA LUMPUR, June 18 — Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim claims that the Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL) found that his former aide Saiful Bukhari Azlan was never sodomised. In an affidavit filed at the Kuala Lumpur High Court yesterday to strike out the case against him, the Opposition leader said the report dated July 13 last year backed another medical report by private hospital, Pusrawi. “No conclusive clinical findings suggestive of penetration to the anus and no significant defensive wound on the body of the patient,” read part of the report which was cited in the affidavit.
The HKL report was endorsed by three specialists from the hospital. Last year, Saiful lodged a police report against Anwar claiming that he was sodomised, resulting in the Permatang Pauh MP being detained by the police for one night. But a medical report from Pusrawi, which found no evidence of sodomy later surfaced on the internet and the doctor who performed the examination, Dr. Mohamed Osman Abdul Hamid later went into hiding claiming that his life was in danger. Anwar said that the case is politically-motivated and is an abuse of the court procedure.
In his affidavit, Anwar added that the prosecution has yet to furnish his defence team with several items related to the case including the CCTV recordings at Desa Damansara condominium, where the alleged sodomy took place. “We have only received blur pictures from the recordings,” said his lawyer Amer Hamzah at a press conference here. They also have not received chemistry reports of various DNA samples taken from Saiful and other information that will support Anwar in the case.
“I would like to stress that the prosecution’s refusal to furnish me with testimony supporting my case is an act of suppression of evidence,” said Anwar. He also claimed that the alleged fabrication of evidence that happened in his first sodomy trial 10 years ago would probably recur again. Anwar’s Sodomy II trial starts on July 1.